Make this dish on 31 December and stash it in the fridge so the jelly can set.
If it’s safely in the camp fridge by the time the sun sets you know it’ll be ready by the time you want to serve it.
You need (for 6 portions):
- 1 x 80 g packet lemon jelly made with ½ a cup of boiling water
- 8 ripe bananas
- 1 x 410 g tin of Ideal Milk
- Once you’ve dissolved the jelly in the hot water, allow it to cool.
- Squish the bananas with a fork. (See tips next to this recipe.)
- Combine all the ingredients and beat them for a few minutes with the same fork.
- Turn it into a container that seals firmly and allow it to set in the camping fridge.
- Serve it just like that or with custard.
- If you have a camping freezer, serve it with vanilla ice-cream.
You can garnish the pudding with caramelised sugar threads, which are easy to make:
- Melt a cup of sugar in a pot, without stirring. Remove from the heat and let it cool down somewhat.
- Lift the sugar out of the pot using a fork, holding it above a plate placed alongside the pot.
- Make sugar threads by pulling the melted sugar down to the plate using a second fork – and then toss a coin to see who gets to wash
the sticky pot.