My mother-in-law used to serve this banana salad and the dish was always empty after everyone had tucked in. I like to serve it with a curry dish – not quite traditional, I know, but yummy.
You need: (for 6 portions)
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fine apricot jam
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon nuts, chopped (I prefer pecan nuts.)
- Arrange the banana in a wooden dish.
- Mix the mayonnaise, milk and apricot jam until smooth and spoon it over the bananas.
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- To stop bananas from discolouring in a salad, place it, unpeeled, in an oven-proof dish, cover with boiling water and let stand for about five minutes.
- Although the peel will become pitch black and you will think the bananas have been spoiled, inside the fruit will be firm and intact.
- What’s more, it doesn’t go black at all in the salad.
- It’s much better than sprinkling with lemon juice, which doesn’t really work and, what’s worse, tastes funny.